What is Race and Why Does It Matter to Me?
Anti-racist Strategies for White Midwives: Tools for Self-Examination and Action.
About the Committee for Equity and Justice
The Minnesota Affiliate Committee for Equity and Justice was created in 2016.
The Minnesota Affiliate of the American College of Nurse Midwives recognizes that:
- Institutionalized racism and discrimination exist within the profession of midwifery and within our professional organization.
- The racial and ethnic representation of nurse-midwives in the U.S. and of our membership are not reflective of the clients we serve.
- Members of underrepresented and marginalized groups face barriers to accessing the profession of midwifery.
- Inclusiveness, equity, and elimination of disparities are core values of our organization.
This Committee will work to:
- Create an anti-oppression framework for the organization
- Promote the practice of cultural humility
- Provide opportunities for members to examine issues of privilege, racism, oppression, justice and equity within our profession
- Create a culture that is welcoming, in which all voices are voiced and heard.
- Commit to gentle and compassionate dialogue among those participating in this committee
View the CEJ’s Statement Condemning State-Sponsored and Police Violence here: